Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Oh Pickle...

I didn't really know what to title this one so.. OH Pickle.. Just seemed to fit!!

Sunday- Church day.. still missing my church family but am still thankful I am able to here for these kiddos.. However after church was probably another highlight for me.. It was pool day.. You should of seen the kids faces.. They were going ballistic because they got to go swimming.. little did I know that they only go 5 times out of the year.. It was fun however to witness a two girls first day at a pool.. ever. The oldest is 10 yrs old and they youngest is 6 both had never been to a pool before.. That for some reason just amazed me. I know that this happpens in the world. Not everyone goes swimming that much.. but to be 10 and to never go to a pool or the beach.. Kind of sparked an intrest, not sure why yet but it was fun to see there faces light up and have joy being carried around. It was also fun to watch the older girls.. Some are 14 years old and don't know how to swim.. Yeah it would be difficult giving an orphanage swimming lessons when they only go to the pool 5 times a year. It was just a fun and relaxing day for everyone.. they all just got to be kids!!!

Monday- It was a normal day and yes sometimes I feel mondays here are the same as home.. you don't want to get up you just want to sleep a little extra... It was the night that was intresting to me. I have become close with two girls here and we decided we were going to skype with my mom. ONe looks into the screen and asked the question "Does the Electricity always stay on in the states?" At first I had to do a double take to see if she was serious.. but then I realized of course she is.. I even find myself getting excited when the electricity comes on in the room here.. She has never lived anywhere, where people do not come around and just shut your electricty off. Here the govt pretty much runs it.. They do not have enough to filter to everyone so they have to shut it off periodically in order to give everyone a chance. I never really thought about it until she asked that question though. I am able to have electricity everywhere I go at home. They are use to warm juice and super creamy butter.. They still keep everything in the fridge and don't worry about whats going to go bad or not. I mean they check dates and stuff but they don't feel they have to throw a lot away just because the power went out. I will say that they do have a generator and sometimes run that. but Just the sencerity in her voice and curiousity on her face. She wants to live in a place where they don't turn her electricty off periodically. It was just a wonderment to me.

Still trying to figure some things out... The girls get mad at one other but for a reason such as one knowing enlish and Creole and has to translate for a lot of people.. Petty to us because we want to know other languages.. But here the older girls look down on those who have translate for others.. Weird to me.. kind of seems they get jelous of one another so they have to find the thing that will spark them..

A funny note: I found out here there is no tooth fairy.. In Haitian culture you want to throw your tooth on the roof.. The Mice will then eat it and you tell the mice I would like ugly teeth and because the mice are stubborn they will do the oppposite and give you pretty teeth (which of course is what you want in the first place) A little one lost two teeth here yesterday.. Hard to see when you are use to things at home as far as putting it under your pillow and waiting for the tooth fairy(your parents) to come in the middle of the night and you find out they are actually saving your teeth and when you are older and find them it was kind of cool to go back and look at them.. There is no saving here.. nothing gets put under the pillow, they either throw it on the roof or just throw it away.. and you kno what they are perfectly fine with it. Content with whatever desicion they make.. Opens my eyes more to the things that we do are really not that big of deal at all...

Well thats all for my rambling today! Will hopefully have more for you later this week!.. Sorry it's kind of hard to upload pictures onto this site so none for this one!!

In Christ

"But whatever was my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ" -- Philippians 3:7

1 comment:

  1. your "Ramblings" are fantastic as usual, your heart is so big and so full of love for Jesus you are seeing things there through that love and it is amazing to me when I read your words. Thank you for sharing all of this. It gives me such insight on where Meline is coming from. Praying for you, your health, everyone as HIS Home.

    ReplyDelete