Thursday, August 5, 2010

My first night!

So we made it to Haiti safe and sound...


WOW.. I didn't think I would experience a culture shock.. Don't get me wrong I didn't go into this thinking ohh it's just going to be like America, but at the same time it was something I didn't really think to much about.

From the moment we got off the plane People were everywhere.. either running into you or screaming at other people (there tempers are short here in Haiti, the littelst things will set them off but as soon as they yell and tel you their two cents they are good to go).. And there driving is CRAZY!! Okay I know in the states I am considered a bad driver but Ohh no these people are rush rush rush everywhere and they are so impatient so there horns are going all the time!! But One thing I will add is just how caring people are here.. They are so friendly and want to help you and some not just for the money.. I mean you have those when we got out of the airport that tried to help you with your bags and wouldn't take no for an anwser but you also have those who seem to geniuenly care and want to help you.


The things I guess that hit me hard was the kids.. There were some at the airport gate just putting their hands thru the gate holes just trying to get some money.. or while we were driving from the orphanage there were some walking by themselves on these dirty muddy roads, There are piles of trash everywhere and it seems that the animals are free to do what ever they want. I even have a picture of some cows eating on a playground. That is just so foregin to me especially since I am the one who wants to eat the cow not watch the cow eat where I am playing!


Yesterday at the orphanage was a full day.. Well it seemed to me it was full... I will say I don't think I have ever sweated this much then I am right now and the sweat never seems to stop... It was in the 80's at 9a.m when we got off the plane so it had to be in the 90's to 100's during the afternooon last night I believe it went back to 80 a little break while we were sleeping! The kids here are so friendly and helpful they go to VBS during the day so I actually spent more time in the nursery with the little ones.. I will confess it was hard to go in at first.. The first thing I saw was the little blue chair that Marcos was sitting in, in one of his pictures, I couldn't help but shed a tear. I want him here for my brother and sister (in-law) but I know he is in a better place and no longer needs human affection but is in the arms of our loving father!


These kids are so amazing they have hard conditions yet still at night they are singing Mighty to save. There showers are a PVC pipe and a tarp and they are still singing how great is our GOd.. It's humbling to watch, I know God has blessed me with being able to live in America and I will forever be grateful for that. I pray that these kids know and feel God's love...


One thing you can pray about is the older kids... They need families just as much as the babies do, here in Haiti when you leave an orpahange you are going no where to them this is all the have right now!


Sorry this update is a little long... I will write more later!!


In Christ!

3 comments:

  1. Okay I cried...while reading this to Grace. :) I think she thinks I am crazy! So glad you are there and experiencing all of this. Wish we could be there but know that God has you doing this alone. Take care.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of this what a great God we have know that he is there with you and we are praying for you and everyone at HIS Home. What grace you have to be able to accept what happened with Marcos and have the need to still help. You are amazing and the kids are so blessed to have you and your wonderful sense of adventure there, they will miss you. I look at the pictures and cry, take care and remember drink water!!! Keep hydrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing...look forward to more!!!

    ReplyDelete